james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Stefano Bagnara" <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: Next release (Was: Merging version 2.2.1 to 3.0 and 3.0 roadmap)
Date Sun, 07 Aug 2005 20:42:20 GMT
> > BXA issues? Are they specific to James or a new issue regarding all
> > ASF projects?
>
> General to all code developed and/or exported from the USA
> that contains any crypto code.  Adding S/MIME support to
> JAMES created the problem.

SMIME support currently in svn has been committed by Vincenzo. Both Vincenzo
and I are italians and in Italy we don't have crypto export restrictions
(AFAIK).
Could this help? Can we package the SMIME stuff in different jars and
distribute them from somewhere else?

> At this point, my preference would be to look at OSGi for the
> container.
> That should provide a range of benefits, including ease to
> integrate with other components such as Derby for database
> and ApacheDS for directory services.

I don't know anything about OSGi and its benefits.
Does OSGi provide similar services to Avalon?

> As for the impending release, I'd be happy to see us put out
> a 2.3.0 now and a new release every month as new features get
> added.  People would not need to upgrade unless they wanted
> the new features.

That would be cool!

> A few immediate things, while we're waiting to resolve the BXA issues:
>
>   - I'm not sure how much code would have to change,
>     but I would like for us to upgrade to the latest
>     DNSJAVA code

Already done locally, will commit soon the changes.

>   - Add Derby into the release as a default database.

Added a JIRA issue for this.

> Getting Derby in would allow us to move towards always
> expecting and using a database, which will help with a lot of
> functionality, and make it easier to ditch some of the
> cornerstone stuff in favor of nice POJOs of our own design.

Great idea!

Stefano