james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Next release (Was: Merging version 2.2.1 to 3.0 and 3.0 roadmap)
Date Mon, 08 Aug 2005 00:32:16 GMT
Steve Brewin wrote:

>Noel J. Bergman wrote:
><snipped>
>

>>At this point, my preference would be to look at OSGi for the
>>container.
>>That should provide a range of benefits, including ease to
>>integrate with
>>other components such as Derby for database and ApacheDS for directory
>>services.""
>>

>Noel, why OSGi?

Perhaps I can answer that.  OSGi is dynamic container technology devised
predominantly for embedded scenarios where services need dynamic
reconfiguration.  The technology is based on a clear specification
defined by a consortium of large companies like IBM, Cisco and SUN to
name a small few.

These aspects have made OSGi very appealing as a container technology in
general and not just for embedded scenarios.  Problems with service
dependency resolution have been solved to the point where components are
hot pluggable.  At Avalon land we all dreamed of doing this one day.
OSGi does it today and has been around way before Avalon.

With a common basis, a specification, OSGi containers are easily
interchanged.  Meaning you don't have to worry that your components will
run in other OSGi containers.  When it runs in one it will run within
others.  With a specification at the heart of it all there are no open
ended questions or preferences driving the implementation.  Everything
is clearly defined.

HTH,
Alex