james-server-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Next release (Was: Merging version 2.2.1 to 3.0 and 3.0 roadmap)
Date Sun, 07 Aug 2005 17:32:18 GMT
Stefano Bagnara wrote:

> BXA issues? Are they specific to James or a new issue
> regarding all ASF projects?

General to all code developed and/or exported from the USA that contains any
crypto code.  Adding S/MIME support to JAMES created the problem.

> > I'd rather see us get what we've got ready shipped, without
> > having to wait, and add the necessary functionality as we go
> > down the road.

> Ok, I agree on this.


> So we should make an almost "stable" release with few changes
> from 2.2.0 and call it

Whatever.  :-)  v2.3 is fine, if that is your preference.

> Then we can start working on Mailet API refactoring and Container
> removal that will be the major changes for the next release


At this point, my preference would be to look at OSGi for the container.
That should provide a range of benefits, including ease to integrate with
other components such as Derby for database and ApacheDS for directory

As for the impending release, I'd be happy to see us put out a 2.3.0 now and
a new release every month as new features get added.  People would not need
to upgrade unless they wanted the new features.

A few immediate things, while we're waiting to resolve the BXA issues:

  - I'm not sure how much code would have to change,
    but I would like for us to upgrade to the latest
    DNSJAVA code

  - Add Derby into the release as a default database.

Getting Derby in would allow us to move towards always expecting and using a
database, which will help with a lot of functionality, and make it easier to
ditch some of the cornerstone stuff in favor of nice POJOs of our own

	--- Noel

To unsubscribe, e-mail: server-dev-unsubscribe@james.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: server-dev-help@james.apache.org

View raw message