james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: RTC vs CTR (Was: svn commit: r230781)
Date Mon, 08 Aug 2005 15:24:44 GMT
> I haven't asked wether James use a RTC (review-then-commit)
> or a CTR (commit-then-review) approach.

That depends.  :-)

Are we about to do a release?  How risky is the patch?  Should we create a
branch first, apply the patches, review/test and then merge back to trunk?
Those are the sorts of questions I'd ask when committing.

> I'm ready to apply a cumulative patch

I am looking forward to seeing all of those things, but as a general rule I
dislike cumulative patches.  I prefer to see patches for each functional
area, when possible.  Others may have different preferences.

> Update MySQL driver (well, i've deleted it, so this is no more valid)

We have permission to use the LGPL driver, so I don't see any reason to
remove it, yet.  We cannot use the GPL driver, as the current legal advice
is that their FOSS exception isn't sufficient.

> added derby stuff and configured db repositories by default

That's great, and I'm looking forward to seeing it in action.  We'll want to
do some performance benchmarks to compare file, derby and mysql stores.

	--- Noel