james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Ahmed Mohombe <amoho...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Do we still need JDK 1.3 support?
Date Mon, 08 Aug 2005 07:32:26 GMT
>>I don't see too much benefits in removing jdk1.3 support but
>>indeed if we try to mantain jdk1.3 compliance we should also
>>publicize it (currently james sites says james needs jdk1.4).
>>
>>Any other benefits removing jdk1.3 support?
>

> Well, looking better: BC compatibility jars are 2MB.
>
> So removing jdk1.3 compatibility would mean a 1.5MB james.sar instead of the
> current 3.5MB.
+1

IMHO for those who have JDK 1.3 on their systems and worry, there's
still a simple solution:
- Use a 'private' JDK1.4, for JAMES only.
This method is used in a lot commercial of products, to ensure that the
product runs exactly on the one version of JDK. E.g. a all versions of
IntelliJ IDEA (before version 5.0) had 'private' JDKs/JREs.

IMHO, this could be also used for JAMES in the case of JDK 1.5.
If JDK 1.5 would bring big advantages to JAMES than it's worth changing,
  cause those with JDK 1.4 only are still able to use that trick.

Ahmed.