james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <sknystau...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Next release plans
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 15:37:49 GMT
> Serge Knystautas wrote:
> > Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > > I think that we need to get some stability or we'll never release.
> > > I had planned to do a release already, but am no longer
> > > comfortable with the idea.
>
> > I think we need to grow the base of person who can make a release.  I
> > think this is an unfair power Noel's schedule has over us.
>
> I'd be happy to see others step up to do a release.  Certainly happened
> before I did them, and will happen afterwards.  But the point of the comment
> you quoted is that we should be basing release on something stable and
> tested, not trying to cut a release from a rapidly moving target.

I know, and I'm not questioning the validity of the desire.

It's a question of balance of opinion.  Some want to keep working
hard,  We have a widely varied level of effort on the project.  We
have voting that keeps committers on equal voting and we have
meritocracy that empowers people who are doing the work.

As I've mentioned many times over the past years, since you unique
access rights and because our release process is not published, it
means that you have a third factor in the decision making process.  If
you have time to explain what permissions Stefano needs and how to
make the release, I would appreciate it.

To everyone who wants to take a breath, I would say it feels rapidly
moving because you are not working on it.  Yes we do not want a
release that the community does not recognize, but I think there's a
balance and I'm pushing to get us moving towards many releases as I
think it will help in a number of ways.

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501