james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Soren Hilmer <soren.hil...@tietoenator.com>
Subject Re: Switch to Loom 1.0RC3
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2005 07:29:11 GMT
I am with Noel on this. We should not do anything that means we get tied more
to Avalon/Excalibur.
On the other hand I liked the advantages a lot, as I have experienced massive
classloader problems with Phoenix, I do a lot of dynamic reloading of .sar's
and on Windows this leads to lost handles :-(

Maybe we can do some code that enables the use of
org.apache.james.util.dbcp.JdbcDataSource with Loom (just thinking aloud
here, as I have not investigated the problem).

--Søren

On Wednesday 07 September 2005 04:37, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > Should we move to Loom?
>
> Not if it means some of the things you noted.  I am particularly not keen
> to start using more excalibur code instead of Jakarta Commons code.
>
> > we could avoid using DBCP at all.
>
> But we want to use DBCP.  It is well-tested, supported and broadly used.
>
> And I really don't want to tie us more tightly to Avalon.  Rather, we
> should incrementally detach the remaining bits, so that we can move to
> another container architecture.
>
> 	--- Noel

Søren Hilmer, M.Sc.
R&D manager		Phone:	+45 72 30 64 00
TietoEnator IT+ A/S	Fax:	+45 72 30 64 02
Ved Lunden 12		Direct:	+45 72 30 64 57
DK-8230 Åbyhøj		Email:	soren.hilmer <at> tietoenator.com