james-server-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Stefano Bagnara" ...@bago.org>
Subject Re: Switch to Loom 1.0RC3
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2005 08:41:53 GMT
> Good! Attach some dates and we have a release plan!

Right, but we are not a company and we advance with sparetime so we can
simply decide the order of steps in the cycle and not dates.

> [...]
> The alpha phase can be shortened if there are less features 
> still being put in. I think it is important to have a first 
> alpha release soon, along with a plan of what's still going 
> in and when.

All of us agreed on this. We'll have an alpha release soon.

> As for Loom, I am curious about the white space issue -- 
> whether it can be fixed before the James release. There might 
> be other 'little' issues like this that may turn out to be 
> nasty. So it should be thoroughly tested.

I think that the container issue is MINOR and somewhat unrelated to the

When you release a war application you declare the servlet containers that
are able to run it but you don't "bind" your application to a specific

I simply think that we should not add workarounds in our code to avoid bugs
in the phoenix version we are currently distributing with james. I would
prefer to bundle a newer container.

And about phoenix being well-known: can you provide links of software
currently using an unreleased phoenix release (either 4.0.4 we currently
bundle or the trunk)?

> Would it be an idea to release James with both Phoenix (not 
> perfect but well known) and Loom (better but more unknown), 
> with Phoenix the default?

I personally don't like this option: people would start asking why we bundle
2 container, what are the differences and we don't have good answers.


To unsubscribe, e-mail: server-dev-unsubscribe@james.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: server-dev-help@james.apache.org

View raw message