james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Stefano Bagnara" <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: Next release plans
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2005 07:38:39 GMT
> > I would like to know other committers' opinions on james
> next release.
>
> I had said before that we were close, and I had wanted us to
> do some minor cleanup and put out a release.  Now I feel that
> we are further away from a release, since we have had so many
> new, substantial and relatively untested changes.  Has anyone
> tested anything for performance impact compared to the
> current release, memory leaks, etc.?

If we want to make a 2.3.0 release we can revert the changes we don't want
to include.
IMHO we already have changes in assembly and config.xml due to previous
changes (not mine) so we could even ship the current one.
IMHO the changes are not too many we could ship an alpha or a beta.
I'm using the current trunk in my own "personal" server.

> As for what we call the next one, perhaps it should be v3.
> Configuration files will certainly need to change.  I'm
> thinking of refactoring the current config into multiple
> files so that we can more readily separate what admins
> normally have to change from internal glue descriptors.

Well, if we don't release a 2.3.0 I will start doing more clean up (remove
deprecated methods, change mailet apis when needed,...)
I just want to know wether I can start doing major 3.0 changes (eventually
in a branch) or we want to put out the 2.3.0 with minor changes. I already
done a few posts explaining what is changed from 2.2.0 to the current trunk.

> I think that we need to get some stability or we'll never
> release.  I had planned to do a release already, but am no
> longer comfortable with the idea.

Again: choose a day you where confortable and we can release that day svn
snapshot and branch from there.
If we want to do it now we can even choose each single change and create a
customized branch for the release, but this does need time and we cannot
afford it later.

> > If this is going to happen in september then I'm for a
> 2.3.0 release,
> > otherwise I'm for moving to 3.0: it does not make sense to
> block the
> > development for a release that will never see the light.
>
> At this point, I have very little time before then, but I
> should have a couple of weeks at the beginging of October.

If the best scenario is to do the next release in october the 15th then I'm
for moving to 3.0 and release a 3.0M1 (milestone is the best term to
indicate there have been changes and more new features/major changes will
come with M2 and following releases).
If we need to include all of http://wiki.apache.org/james/JamesV3 in 3.0
final we can't stop "thinking" for months ;-)
IMHO we just need a realistic modus operandi and roadmap.

> Perhaps we should work on testing and stablizing what we
> have.  When we seem close, I'll create a release branch, and
> we can continue development in the trunk.  But we should
> probably keep experimental refactoring in a branch, and out
> of the mainstream development, until it is ready to be merged in.

We need the release to have it tested: I don't know where to start to
"stabilize". IMHO the current trunk is probably not less stable than 2.2.0.
>From the code side there have been MINOR changes but I upgraded almost any
jar we ship and so we need to do a release to know the new libraries are
working like (better than) the previous ones.

Stefano