james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Kervin L. Pierre" <ker...@adevsoft.com>
Subject Re: MX localhost
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2005 20:14:41 GMT

BTW, I'm not condoning the practise the practise or
anything.

Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Because it is an error if anyone else ever looks it up.  Any remote system
> would (attempt to) send to itself instead of you.

I am not sure how it's done exactly, but I think
that's taken care of by the either the resolver
library configuration, eg. nsswitch.conf or using
DNS zones.

A lookup on the workstation returns localhost
for the MX, but a lookup on the LAN's DNS server
returns some other IP.  That "other" IP may or
not be that of the workstation.

But maybe that type of config doesn't have to be
supported??

Regards,
Kervin