james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Stefano Bagnara" <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: Switch to Loom 1.0RC3
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2005 16:10:47 GMT
> I thought the 2.3.0 release was coming up shortly?
>
> You mean that it is the right time to put Loom in, just
> before releasing the RCs for 2.3.0. Is it correct that your
> point is that real testing will be done with the RCs, not
> with the trunk?
>
> Cheers,

Let me explain what is the release cycle in my head:

Alpha cycle:
- add new features
- handle bug reports
- test it is working and release an alpha
- fix bugs or delay them to a following alpha/beta
- schedule feature/bug fixes for the releases

Repeat Alpha cycle until your major features are in.

Beta cycle
- handle bug reports
- fix bugs or delay them to a following beta
- test and release a new beta
- schedule bug fixes for the next release

Repeat Beta cycles until your minor features are completed and you have
fixed all the bugs you want to fix

RC cycle
- release a candidate
- wait for show-stoppers
- fix show-stoppers

Repeat RC cycles until you have showstoppers.

Final release

Currently we are in the first step of the Alpha Cycle, you can see that this
is the most distant point from the final release in the release cycle.

Note that the cycles are not binded to "real/solar time": the whole process
can take years or weeks depending on too many factors.

What I would like is to do a fist alpha release as soon as possible so we
start understanding what the roadmap for following Alphas and Betas will be.
We can only plan alphas/betas.

Isn't this the "common" way to operate?

Stefano