james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Danny Angus <Danny_An...@slc.co.uk>
Subject Re: isLocalUser behaviour (Was: Out of the box virtualhosting)
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2005 12:34:29 GMT
> IMHO this is a good improvement over the current API way to resolve local
> users (double call) and this would allow us to implement automatic
> virtualhosting support.

I agree. :-)

> In solution 2) and 3) I would also deprecate the current isLocalUser
since
> it does not make much sense to check wether an user is local without
> checking the domain first.

Also agree.

> My vote goes for "1a)" if we plan to add this in 2.3.0 because it would
be
> totally backward compatible but for "2)" if we delay this change to 3.0.

Agree.
+1 to 1a

(p.s. to the person who wanted a "default" domain, names without addresses
are legitimate email addresses, the RFC's say that they should be treated
as destined for the local domain, this translates literally to "localhost",
but I guess could be made to be configurable to any domain)

> IMHO implementation details can be discussed after this one.

Agree.
I agree with your approach to enabling virtual hosting in SMTP by
delegating more of the domain/destination decisions to the mailets.
The only concern that I have is related to matching this up with POP3
changes.
Any change that doesn't impose a naming convention and is backwards
compatible is OK by me.

d.

reflect the opinions and views of The Student Loans Company Limit
 ed.

viruses.