james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Cheng <c...@joecheng.com>
Subject Re: IMAP status
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:18:34 GMT
Serge Knystautas wrote:

>MIME4J is nowhere ready to be a replacement.  It is a read-only API
>last I checked.

Noel, you said on server-users@ that you thought IMAP allowed
modification of Messages (using your definition).  To my knowledge, this
is not the case (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).  What IMAP
does allow you to do is add new messages to a mailbox, which POP of
course does not.  On already existing messages you can only change flags
which fall under Mail, not Message.

That's why when working on my own IMAP server I didn't feel the need to
make MIME4J support message mutation--it's only even needed in James for
mailets, which was out of scope for my project.

If mailets only apply during the delivery phase, could you just use
JavaMail at that point (for the mailets that needed it) and then MIME4J
everywhere else?