james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Scott Carr <sc...@progbits.com>
Subject Re: IMAP status
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:27:52 GMT
Comments inline.

Joe Cheng wrote:
> Serge Knystautas wrote:
>
>> MIME4J is nowhere ready to be a replacement.  It is a read-only API
>> last I checked.
>>

> Noel, you said on server-users@ that you thought IMAP allowed
> modification of Messages (using your definition).  To my knowledge,
> this is not the case (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).  What
> IMAP does allow you to do is add new messages to a mailbox, which POP
> of course does not.  On already existing messages you can only change
> flags which fall under Mail, not Message.
You are correct.  With the APPEND command, you can add new messages to a
specific Mailbox.  The way some systems make it look like changing a
message is by APPEND'ing a message with all the same data including
changes, and deleting the previous one.

I have been thinking of using this feature to create an IMAPNotes
program that would allow storage of Notes with Edit/Delete/New
functionality using IMAP as the store.  JavaMail does make this feature
look as though it is editing the same message though so I can understand
the confusion.

--
Scott Carr
OpenOffice.org