james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Kervin L. Pierre" <ker...@adevsoft.com>
Subject Re: IMAP status
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:12:33 GMT
Steve Brewin wrote:

> Can we agree on org.apache.james.xxx interfaces that capture the behaviour
> we need a repository to provide? Jason's existing work has surfaced most of
> the requirements.
>
> We can then write adapters for specific implementations such as Javamail or
> whatever else we agree upon, even change our minds about the implementation

Agreed, 110%

Even when the Javamail/MIME4J/Etc. argument is settled
there are going to be cases where another mail store
implementation is much better suited for a particular
environment.

Users are going to want to extend James' Message Store
Model.  A single interface that acts like a "Virtual
File System" of soughts will make it easier for them.
This interface would deal with only the serialization
and retrival of data.

Maybe we can get it to the point that a user writing
a single class implementing the MailStore interface is
all that is needed to port James to a new database
system or file format?  As with some other message
APIs?

Regards,
Kervin