james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Working towards a release
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2005 19:53:26 GMT
Noel J. Bergman <noel@devtech.com> wrote:
> Planning on it.  I need to re-do my testing configuration with the new
> config and test that, and then re-do my production configuration and give
> that a whirl.  If those look good, I'll propose an alpha for vote.  I
don't
> like posting anything that I would not run myself.

I have run a first test, but also encountered a problem.  Not with JAMES,
but with the test environment.  At home, I run JAMES on one server, postal
and rabid on another.  I hadn't noticed before, but postal and rabid are not
CPU friendly.  Basically, they eat the CPU.  So running postal and rabid
under VMware on my laptop along with JAMES means that they interfer with
testing, so I had to back off the testing a bit.  Just rebuilt postal and
rabid for Mac OS X, so we'll run those on a separate physical machine.  And
I have notified Russell of the issue.

I have run an overnight test with just SMTP and SMTP relay, using db for
mailboxes and users, and file for all else.  No perceived memory leaks, but
I did run out of handles for the database until I raised the max to 40.

Bottom line: so far, so good.  Will start additional testing along the full
SMTP and POP3 path tonight, and will check file, db and dbfile using Derby
for the DB.  Do not plan to test any other databases.

	--- Noel