james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Brewin" <sbre...@synsys.com>
Subject RE: Long Running Test
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2006 22:19:53 GMT
Bernd Fondermann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I conducted the first longer test run using the code from
> Jira JAMES-442.
>
> The test ran without any problems under vanilla 2.2.0 for
> 24hrs, 80612
> mails were sent, 0 lost.
>
> It simulates the following scenario:
>
> 50 internal users.
> 100 external addresses.
>
> | mail |
> | proc.|
> | per  |         | MIME part size|
> | min  |from| to | text | binary |
> +------+----+----+------+--------+
> | 20   |int |ext | 1000 |  1000  |
> | 10   |ext |int |  500 |     -  |
> |  1   |ext |int |  200 | 30000  |
> | 20   |int |int |  500 |     -  |
> |  1   |int |int |  100 | 30000  |
>   ======
>    52
>
> What numbers would make more realistic average usage scenarios? More
> mails? More users?

This is great stuff!

I'm not sure there is an average usage scenario. At one extreme James is
deployed by home users and small business where the number of users and
volumes are low but the mail they send is most likely destined for a remote
destination. At the other extreme an objective has always been to be able to
handle the traffic levels that apache.org deals with, a large volume of
external mail. Another enterprise level scenario is dealing with large
volumes of local mail.

For the apache.org scenario it might be possible to have access to the
current traffic statistics and build a simulation around these. Does anyone
know how we might obtain these?

Another approach might be to stress test local and remote delivery
separately. In each case ramping up the volumes until failure. This would
reveal what breaks when due to the lack of what resource. Once the failure
point is identified, we would want to explore the relationship between mail
volume, size and composition around this point to understand its true
nature.

I guess I'm saying that we need to understand the edge of the envelope of
what James can do so that we can make adjustements to broaden the envelope
in the future.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

-- Steve