james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: James 2.3.0a1
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2006 23:11:09 GMT
Serge Knystautas wrote:
> Man, I'm behind this week's email.
>
> I'm +0.2 on the new release.  I'm personally not convinced with
> switching to derby as the default, but if you guys have blessed it as
> reliable, then great.
>
> ...however... the conf file in the svn release tag has large TEMPORARY
> DEFAULT text next to these new defaults.  I'd prefer we get this
> cleaned up, at least before a 2.3 final release.

I totally share your doubt about derby. This is an alpha release mainly
because we want to be able to do *changes* before 2.3.0 and not only
bugfixes.

I don't use derby and probably other james developer using the current
trunk are not using derby too, but, as a default, the idea of an
embedded db is good, so I hope that people will download this alpha and
report here a good feedback, or we'll decide what to do for the next alpha!

The large TEMPORARY should help testers understand that this is not an
official switch and that it could change in following alphas.

I hope that we'll have a faster release schedule for the following
alphas (we probably don't even need to vote for this kind of releases)
the next months and I would like to have a 2.3.0 final in summer 2006.

Stefano