james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Brewin" <sbre...@synsys.com>
Subject RE: JSieve
Date Wed, 29 Mar 2006 21:30:06 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Steve,
>
> I haven't looked much at the code, but IIRC, you were waiting for IMAP
> support.

Yes. Many of the specified standard operations in the spec. are predicated
on IMAP functionality. We cannot be RFC compliant without it. Still, as I
recall, included in SVN is an example of plugging JSieve into the
LocalDelivery process. My memory is hazy, but I believe the example works by
invoking pre-existing mailet code to perform what 'standard' mailet
functions it can.

I also hazily remember that there were some issues with the Mailet API that
got in the way of the nirvana solution of being able to declare custom Sieve
functions that simply mapped to the invocation of pre-existing Mailets. The
two APIs are not quite symmetric.

> I would like to pursue activating sieve in the
> current setup,
> perhaps adding a mapping from the recipient address to a sieve script.

The example applies the same Sieve script to all, pretty much what our
Mailet chain does using a different vocabulary. Its a proof of concept, we
can leverage James' architecture, but no more. In my mind the benefits of
Sieve over the Mailet chain only come into play once we can associate a
Sieve script to each user. So such a mapping and the means to persist the
scripts are prerequisites to it being a useful tool. One that controls mail
flow in an RFC compliant manner.

> Would you be willing to collaborate on getting that done?  I
> am thinking
> that it could be modular, so that it could run in the protocol handler
> (post-DATA) or in a mailet.

Yes and can't! Yes I would love to help in anyway I can, but I can't promise
any coding time. My time is so over committed at the moment its ridiculous.
I hate saying I will do something and then not delivering, so I'd rather
not.

What I can do over the weekend is revive my 'hazy' recollections by taking a
look at the code with a view to identifying the steps required to achieve
the "nirvana solution" described above and further work required for per
user scripting.

At a minimum, this will give us an idea of the size of the task we are
considering.

Cheers

-- Steve