james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bf_...@brainlounge.de>
Subject Re: Long Running Test
Date Mon, 13 Mar 2006 19:29:59 GMT
Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> Bernd Fondermann wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Finally, I managed to run the same scenario as described below with
>> 2.3.0a1. 80603 mails sent, 0 lost. Performance seems to be basically
>> identical which is good news.
>

> Good to know!
> Which environment did you test? (mysql/derby db? db/file/dbfile
> repositories?)
> Have you done any comparison of the different dbs?

James and test client were both run locally on the same machine.
I used file repositories for the first comparison of the major verions.

Different repositories come next.

Currently I get OutOfMemory exceptions -- within _postage_ after
recording data for more than 110000 mails. So, lots of improvement still
to be done.

> It is difficult to check memory footprint in java. The only way is to
> limit the JVM resources and see how it works.
>
> (It would be cool to have a switch to say to the VM "try to use less
> than X mb of heap" so that it automatically GC at that level but don't
> send OutOfMemoryErrors when more memory is needed to complete the
> operation)

Most elegant solution I see is to use JSE 5's build-in JMX mechanism
(http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/lang/management/MemoryMXBean.html),
but this would of course not be possible under Java 1.4 out-of-the-box.
But maybe a backport exists somewhere.

   Bernd