james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bf_...@brainlounge.de>
Subject Re: Long Running Test
Date Mon, 13 Mar 2006 19:38:54 GMT
Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> Norman Maurer wrote:
>
>> A good tool for benchmark mailservers is postal:
>> http://freshmeat.net/projects/postal/
>>
>> Maybe this will help all these peolpe which are intressted in thorughput
>> etc.
>

> We (at least I and Noel) already use postal/rabid to test James, but
> Bernd is creating a different tool that should be easier and more
> powerful for James testing.

I used that, too. But it is very limited: You can put load on James, but
you don't really know if messages were really spooled to the appropriate
receiver or just were dumped somewhere and never processed (thus giving
you high performance!) without checking by hand. This is not appropriate
for automated end-to-end tests.

> Later I will provide a "mocked javamail transport" I'm writing to test
> remotedelivery. This should help creating more realistic benchmarks
> (unreachable servers, errors in smtp server, retries, bounces).
>
> I'm writing it to test an "advanced" remote delivery that try to reuse
> smtp connections to send multiple messages to the same domain, cache
> smtp errors, and more.

Cool. Sounds like this could improve throughput.