james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bf_...@brainlounge.de>
Subject Re: Latest commits & Unit Tests
Date Sat, 25 Mar 2006 14:15:33 GMT
Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> Bernd Fondermann wrote:
>
>> ### org.apache.james.core.MailImplTest
>>
>> getSize() behavior has been changed in MailImpl, so we have to adjust
>> here:
>

> Yes, I saw this but I didn't fix it because I was not sure the new
> behaviour was better than the previous.
> I think we can safely change it to 0.

+1

>> -        helperTestMessageSize(mail, mimeMessage.getSize()); //
>> MockMimeMessage default is -1 (accord. to javax.mail javadoc)
>> +        helperTestMessageSize(mail, 0);
>>
>> ### org.apache.james.remotemanager.RemoteManagerTest
>>
>> I propose the following change to become platform independent:
>

> IIRC this is a known bug of James. new lines in the telnet based tcp/ip
> protocols like SMTP and POP3 should always be CRLF (system indipendent).
> So the correct test is \r\n while we have a bug under linux where our
> protocols uses only \n
> We evaluated the use of MINA to resolve this issue too, but MINA SSL
> suport requires java 5...
>
> I'm not sure wether we should keep the failing test to remember the
> issue or we should fix the test for the known bug: what do you think?

Keeping a failing test would require meta-knowledge whether a test is
'supposed' to fail or not. all unit tests would soon become outdated and
useless. the big merit of JUnit is you get a binary information after
running the test. only 'green' can be a good result.
so, i would suggest to add a test which is passing now, related in a
comment  to the JIRA in question and which fails as soon as the fix is
applied so the test can be changed accordingly.

   Bernd