james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Kühn <typedef_...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: MimeMessage handling optimizations/changes for 2.3.0a2
Date Mon, 06 Mar 2006 00:30:49 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefano Bagnara" <apache@bago.org>
To: "James Developers List" <server-dev@james.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2006 12:52 AM
Subject: Re: MimeMessage handling optimizations/changes for 2.3.0a2

> I changed the MimeMessageJDBCSource to provide a SharedInputStream from
> the db, but I'm not sure this is a good idea:

I didn't and wouldn't change MimeMessageJDBCSource with all the problems and
side effects you described. I found storing the body of big messages by
default in the file system to be the best solution for me so far. The good
thing is that it is fast (only move the tmp-file), no changes to
MimeMessageJDBCSource are needed and it won't happen very often. I currently
use a size-threshold of 5 MB. The important thing for me is to prevent the
big ones from being loaded and not every message.

Markus