james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Serge Knystautas" <sknystau...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: James xdocs (related to James 2.3 release)
Date Mon, 22 May 2006 18:27:55 GMT
On 5/22/06, Bernd Fondermann <bf_jak@brainlounge.de> wrote:
> Stefano Bagnara wrote:

> >> I am looking into how to do multi-project in Ant.  It appears that the
> >> <subant> task (http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/subant.html) can
> >> solve
> >> the problem for us.
>
> I did this before on a project and it is a pain. Ant is simply not
> designed for doing multi-project. And, IIRC, this shortcoming of ant is
> the very reason why maven was started in the first place!
>
> And I really would like to have a more _technical_ discussion about why
> maven2 may not fit.
>

> >> And I think it is time to upgrade our Ant to 1.6.5; or perhaps remove Ant
> >> from our repository, and ask developers to install it first.
> >>
> >>     --- Noel
> >
> > I agree on ant removal: maven, ant, jre, java, javac should not be in
> > our repository. The less we keep in our repository the less outdated
> > things we have.
>
> +1

+1

FWIW, I don't care too much about the build system.  I don't use Maven
anymore (that discussion you referenced may have been when I was first
looking into it).

Can't the latest ant grab jars on demand, so we could avoid forcing
the user to download activation and mail.jar manually?

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501