james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: Discussion on e-mail, please
Date Tue, 16 May 2006 15:05:58 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I do understand how it happens that discussions get started on JIRA, but
> let's please try to keep discussion on the mailing list, not embedded in
> issues.
>
> 	--- Noel

Hi Noel, I take this event to launch a proposal.

I saw too much proposals discussed in the list and lost in few months,
and too much important things lost in the list because people forgot to
reply, or because they lost a message between others.

To try to fix this, as you probably saw recenently, I started adding new
JIRA issues even for proposals. I also have found myself attaching
mailing list messages to JIRA issues to keep track of important stuff.

That said I would prefer if we use as much as possible JIRA to track
things: JIRA issues are searchable like mail archives, but they contains
much more metadata than mailing list archives.

JIRA issues have a status, they are linkable, assignable, votable,
watchable, much more "durable" than mailing list threads.

I agree that JIRA is not the best for "instant" discussions and that
"conversations" belongs to mailing lists, but I think that it would be a
good practice if we try to integrate much more the 2 tools:
We can open JIRA issues much easier, try to keep conversations to the
list (reply to the jira notification once they appear to the list) and
eventually copy back important part of the thread to JIRA.

What do you think? Do you see drawbacks in this usage?

Stefano

PS: I always thought it would be great if a plugin could integrate JIRA
and mailing list archives like the current JIRA-SVN integration. How
much would it be cool to look at mailing list threads that referred the
JIRA issue you're looking at?? ;-)