james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: Pushing towards a RELEASE
Date Thu, 04 May 2006 19:06:29 GMT
Apparently Sun is not able to workaround to its own bugs:

When we have control of the getContent/setContent (see AddHeader mailet)
we already have a workaround for this, but this time the problem is in
the SMTPTransport and we cannot do much for that.

----

Create a new MimeMessage from an 8bit file using a sharedinputstream
(not sure this happens with all inputstreams or only sharedinputstreams,
I don't remember).
Send it to an smtp server not supporting 8bitmime.

Create a new MimeMessage from a 7bit file using an inputstream.
Send it to an smtp server supporting 8bitmime and activating the
8bitmime support in the mail session.

If you want to investigate on this look at the
SMTPTransport.convertTo8bit method from javamail 1.3.2 (I have not
checked 1.4 sources yet).

1) There are NPE problems when you have messages with no encoding

2) It furthermore changes the headers of mime parts without calling a
new setContent.

Once you workaround to the enconding issue by manually checking that
each message has an encoding, you will find that output messages have
updated headers but UNCHANGED contents.

So you end up sending quotedprintable content with 8bit/text-plain
headers (corrupted) and viceversa.

All works fine when you create the message from scratch and not from
inputstreams.

Stefano