james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bf_...@brainlounge.de>
Subject Re: Testing Alpha3
Date Tue, 23 May 2006 22:28:54 GMT
Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> Bernd Fondermann wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> Not a single message got lost.
>> No errors in the log files.
>> [...]
>> If a test using file repositories yields similar results and all
>> results still hold for Alpha4, we could consider it stable enough to
>> become a release candidate, shouldn't we?
>

> Thank you for sharing your results!
>
> I think this is good enough to give us much more confidence but I think
> we need much more real world testing before we can trust if enough to
> make an RC.

Of course more tests are needed. Postage does test stability over time,
general robustness, not every little mailet.

Currently I'm running the test against James 2.2.0 to make sure we have
no regression in terms of memory footprint.

> Today I fixed a problem with SMIME mailets, we may have a lot of similar
> problems.
>
> I think the status that better describe the current 2.3 branch is "beta".

That's my impression, too.

> I currently have a 2.3.0a2 and a 2.3.0a3 in production in very low
> traffic servers.
>
> That said I think that using the "RC" sequence in a release would give
> us much more tester than the "a" releases, but I would prefer to proceed
> by steps.

Sure. On the other hand, let's not be too hesistent with a release.
"Release early, often." We really do want the feedback (=bug reports).

> I would like to know if James works fine under greater load.

For release 2.3 I'd say that it should not perform poorer than 2.2.
Everthing else is beyond this release.

For one of the following releases we could concentrate on performance.
Therefore, we really should set a target, like this:
"We want James 3.0 to process 500 mails per minute with 256MB RAM on a
system with ... [more specs follow]."

Postage would also give us the opportunity to do benchmarks against
other mail servers. Would be interesting to know.

> +1 to release a "b1" or "a4" asap

+1. I'd prefer "beta".

   Bernd