james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Virtual User Tables
Date Fri, 26 May 2006 00:24:22 GMT
Stefano Bagnara wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > That requires a bit of thought, rather than rushing into coding

> I have lost the count of discussions with no end, with no conclusions

> I'm sure I can find discussions about virtual users at least 3 years old

Actually, the virtual user code is just about what it ought to be, although
what I proposed earlier would be a useful change.  A few discussions that
haven't been implemented are largely because some people just don't
understand how SMTP and POP3 work.  For example, the POP3 RFC says:

  USER name
    Arguments:
      a string identifying a mailbox (required), which is of
      significance ONLY to the server

It need *NOT* be the user's e-mail address.  We could look at expanding the
range of possible mailbox identifiers, but there is no need.

This is not the problem with JAMES-426.  The issue with JAMES-426 is that it
neither takes into account that we can have non-JDBC virtual tables, nor the
fact that we can have multiple virtual user tables.  If implemented, it
would, at best, be a temporary solution for a sub-set of users.

Exposing a virtual user mapping service, and then querying that service,
would resolve both issues.

	--- Noel