james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: RemoteDelivery and timeout
Date Wed, 21 Jun 2006 12:00:22 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Norman Maurer wrote:
>
>> im right that the 10 minutes timeout is the time after which the
>> connection get closed if it was no activity there ?
>
> If there is no activity *after* the connection is accepted, then there is a
> 10 minute timeout by default.
>
>> we should at least set it to something smaller like 3 minutes.
>
> That's fine.  I just want us to be clear on which timeout is used for what.
> :-)
>
> I wonder if it this change would also resolve the one that Stefano has with
> performance against multiple IP on a delivery, instead of needing his other
> patch.  Thoughts?

No, it alone didn't solve my issue.

I changed both things.

Now I also use a different RemoteDelivery that reuse SMTP connections,
but I already reached the needed throughput with the singleIpPerMX,
reduced timeouts, reduced number of retries and all of the other
available configurations. I also changed RemoteDelivery to accept
configuration for every javamail property to be able to specify the
default quitwait (this "changed" a lot socket problems, and the dafult
has changed from javamail 1.3 to 1.4).

Btw I don't think that we should apply a patch because I need it or I
don't need it. I simply think that James would be better with that patch.

Stefano