james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: Managing Changes
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2006 15:51:20 GMT
Steve Brewin wrote:
> In my experience, having more than one active development branch almost
> always ends in tears, even in more tightly controlled commercial endevaours.
> Its fine having a trunk and branches for past releases to which maintenance
> may be applied. For instance, after releasing 2.3 we branch it, the trunk
> becomes 2.4, we might backport critical fixes (no enhancements) applied to
> the trunk to the 2.3 branch.

I'd like to say that having *0* active development branch is the worst
thing.

I'm +1 to only have a "release branch" (our current 2.3) and a *single*
development branch (trunk).

I would use branches only for short living POCs and maybe for changes
that have not so much chance to pass the review step (instead of using
jira patches that are harder to read, harder to keep updated). I would
be -1 to start any long running development branch but trunk.

Stefano