james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bf_...@brainlounge.de>
Subject Re: Extend JMX support
Date Sun, 18 Jun 2006 20:49:56 GMT
Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> Bernd Fondermann wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to extend James' JMX operations and attributes. In the first
>> stage, this would cover the functionalities already covered by the
>> RemoteManager.
>>
>> Currently, there is interface JamesMBean, containing only addUser.
>> This interface is implemented by class James. This is marked as an
>> example and continuing like that would make class James even bigger.
>> Makes it a bad idea.
>>
>> I would like to add the user management functions to new interface
>> UserAdministrationMBean/class UserAdministration, and add spooling
>> management (as in RemoteManager) to SpoolAdministration[MBean]. And so
>> on.
>>
>> Common logic in RemoteManager and MBean implementations could go into
>> commonly used worker classes. This would also separate parameter
>> parsing from the business logic.
>>
>> Upgrading MX4J would also be cool, but there may be some traps waiting
>> there since JMX integration is currently handled by the container.
>> Utilizing JSE5 JMX support would be useful, too.
>>
> What does "Upgrading MX4J" mean?  Sorry, not following.

MX4J is the JMX kernel library used within James.

Currently distributed version seems to be aged 1.1.1 which for example
does not support JSR 160.
Using James JMX is also not working very well when Java5's built-in JMX
support is enabled.

The whole JMX integration is done by Phoenix. Don't know if there is a
way to make changes there.

I'll have a deeper look at this stuff later but any good advise is welcome.

   Bernd