james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bf_...@brainlounge.de>
Subject Re: james and memoryusage
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2006 13:02:13 GMT
Norman Maurer wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> any has ever test the memory usage of james when used in big enviroment
> and cannot deliver mail. We otice that if we use james and it try to
> deliver emails is seems that it never release the memory after timeout.
> So the load and memory usage get bigger with every message which can not
> get delievert. If we use a stadardgateway for outgoing email and james
> will so never gt a timout the memoryusage and load keeps constant.

Its not uncommon for Java VMs to _visibly_ free memory only when really
needed. This is totally under the control of the JVM. In real life, when
you see constantly growing heap sizes it may or may not be due to
unreleased memory or leaks. You can only definitivly say you ran short
of memory when you are seeing an OutOfMemory exception. Memory
organisation and garbage collection in Java is a science of its own.

> Bernd, have you ever tried this in postage ?Anyone else have expirence?

Sure, I am tracking memory usage under Postage. If you have any
questions concerning that, I'll be happy to answer them.

Depending on the configuration (repository types) the 'memory
fingerprint' of James varies, but not dramatically. Sooner or later,
with reasonable load, you run out of memory. Optimisation in this area
should be a topic for a future release.

> We use the current 2.3-branch from svn.

With high enough load, you run into problems in 2.2 and 2.3.

   Bernd