james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject Release contents, nomenclature, and deprecation
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2006 19:57:01 GMT
Stefano Bagnara wrote:

> IMHO if we'll ever want to make a 2.3.x release then we will use the 2.3
> branch, otherwise from trunk we should create a 2.4.0 or a 3.0.0.

I'm not sure about trunk being v2.4 (as opposed to 3.0 - see below), but we'll see.

> And about the removal: we deprecate them in 2.3 and we remove them in
> 2.4. This makes sense to me, considering that we also have simple
> substitutes for that.

I would not deprecate until we come to a major release.  Not 2.3.1 or 2.4, but a 3.0.  We
can call the releases whatever we want, but we have tried to stick with something like:

  X.Y.z:  minor point release - bug fixes and minor enhancements
  X.y:    minor release - bug fixes and compatible enhancements
  x:      major release - major enhancements, and incompatible changes

The proposed spooling changes would be a major release.  Adding JMX, Derby, LDAP, would be
a minor release.  Fixing the key length when creating a new table would be the X.Y.z type
of minor point release.

Also, as undersirable as they might be, and even understanding that developers have done a
lot of testing, I would be more expecting bugs in an X.0 release than in X.y or X.y.z.  I
would approach what we put into each release from that perspective, to ensure that our releases
meet expectations for risk aversion.

	--- Noel