james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Release contents, nomenclature, and deprecation
Date Sat, 10 Jun 2006 03:15:10 GMT
Stefano Bagnara wrote:

> IMHO you are describing a release numbering scheme that has never
> be used in past for James.

We've oft-debated what the next version number should be, and I think that we might agree
that at least some of our v2 versions should probably have become v3, but we had envisioned
keeping that for an even *more* major release.

What I described is, from memory, something that we have discussed when we've tried to address
versioning.  Are you saying that you don't agree with the idea, or what?

> As an example you deprecated fetchpop in 2.1 and added fetchmail in 2.2.
> You changed a FULL component in a minor point release without even using
> a deprecating step like I am proposing now.

Arguably, FetchPOP really didn't work well, and I do believe that we had both in the system
for quite some time, actually, so I'm not quite sure how you feel that we did not deprecate
it.  And maybe we made a mistake.

In any event, you may find that I have been fairly consistent in asking that we not "break"
existing configurations so that administrators have as little work as possible to do when
upgrading JAMES, at least within a major release.  And, again, we've talked about whether
or not we've made mistakes in release numbering.

> If the way to work in peace is to name the current trunk 5.0
> I'm +1 to do so now ;-)

LOL.  No, I hope not.  For some things?  Don't know.  But I do think that you are seeing what
I mean.  I have not asked that any of the things you want to do not be done.  I'm just suggesting
that they don't all have the same timeframe for release, and am trying to have a discussion
about how we can get all of those things, and more, done -- and still be able to release on
a regular basis, which we can all agree has not been done well in the past.

	--- Noel