james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] James 2.3.0 Beta 1
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2006 18:10:51 GMT
Stefano Bagnara wrote:

> James is a top level project and we didn't publish any release
> versioning scheme, so we can simply vote and do what we voted.

+1

And I'll be happy to see Vincenzo's code dropped into v2.3 when we release
it.  The logic I apply is that it is not a core change, but optional
matchers/mailets, so if there is a bug, there is no risk to most users.

> we make 1 release every 2 years

I'd like that to change, though.  I would not mind seeing a minor release
every two months or so, primarily adding bug fixes, minor improvements, and
matchers/mailets to a major release.  And I would not mind seeing a major
release once or twice per year, so long as we have the new material and it
has been vetted as sufficiently qualitative to stamp our approval on it.

This is why I make an issue about release management.  Not to stop work, but
to try to separate longer term, risky, changes from what can go into the
next near-term release.

	--- Noel