james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Norman Maurer ...@byteaction.de>
Subject Re: IMAP Draft: Cluster
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2006 05:44:27 GMT
Am Montag, den 10.07.2006, 21:05 -0600 schrieb Mike Heath:
> On Mon, 2006-07-10 at 14:57 +0200, Joachim Draeger wrote:
>
> > > Maybe such idle connections could be handled by a special thread and if
> > > any real work is starting on a connection, this one is handed over to a
> > > worker thread?
> >
> > To allow many idle connections but limit the maximal possible server
> > load, I have the idea of a central scheduler in mind.
> > The scheduler keeps track of all running threads.
> > If a session thread wants to run an expensive command it has to ask the
> > scheduler first.
>
> The thread per connection model simply doesn't scale to the level that
> would be needed for a decent IMAP server.  Fortunately, this is a
> problem that has already been solved by SEDA [1].  The Apache MINA
> project [2] implements the good ideas of SEDA plus adds a number of
> other good ideas providing a framework that is very easy to learn and
> use.  MINA also performs and scales very well.  MINA is also an Apache
> project which means that any need support is just around the corner.  At
> ApacheCon there was talk about using MINA to implement the protocols
> used by JAMES [3].  Since I wrote a MINA based SMTP handler [4], I would
> be very interested in seeing JAMES move to MINA based protocol handlers.
> I think this would be a good move for the 3.0 release of JAMES.
>
> -Mike
>
> [1] http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~mdw/proj/seda/
> [2] http://directory.apache.org/subprojects/mina/index.html
> [3]
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/directory-mina-dev/200607.mbox/browser
> [4] http://hausmail.safehaus.org/

Hi Mike,

i allready move this to 3.0 Roadmap ;-)

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-551

I had a look at your work in the last week. It seems to be very
intressting. Im not sure yet if we should move to MINA before or after
the new SMTP Handler api is finish..

What the others think ?

BTW, i never used MINA but the speak on ApacheCon was very intressting.

bye
Norman