james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Norman Maurer ...@byteaction.de>
Subject Re: Postage SVN notifications
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2006 18:56:58 GMT
Am Mittwoch, den 12.07.2006, 20:45 +0200 schrieb Stefano Bagnara:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> >> As a person having SVN karma, would you mind to turn on SVN
> >> notifications for postage
> >
> > Yes.  And, honestly, I'm annoyed.  The mailer must be configured BEFORE the
> > commits are made, not after.  As far as I know, we now need a list of every
> > revision number for all of the commits to postage so that we can re-run the
> > mailer to generate the notices.  But I realize that this wasn't intentional.
> > No one meant to do anything wrong, they just don't know what they are doing
> > in terms of how SVN is configured.
> >
> > For future reference, DO NOT CREATE ANYTHING DIRECTLY UNDER james/ unless
> > you know how, and have authorization, to change the mailer configuration.
>
> Who, between James committers, have authorization to change this?
> - We voted for POSTAGE to be created on 2006/05/26
> - the vote contained the JIRA and SVN references
> - There is even a JIRA issue to remember to prepare the commit
> notifications and the JIRA project.
>
> I waited almost a month and one week ago there was no JIRA issue: I
> asked Serge to do that and we finally have it.
>
> For the next time I will ask even for the notification mail but I'd like
> to know what is the procedure for that and who to ask when you don't
> find the time to do that.
>
> > As an aside, since we're talking about SVN and I'm in a snarky mood, we
> > should get rid of this sandbox nonsense.  Let's stick with the standard
> > tags, branches, trunk.  What's a sandbox?  A branch for playing in.  Fine.
> > Put it under branches.
> >
> > 	--- Noel
>
> If you remember we voted for that so I don't think we should remove the
> sandbox.
> If you have a different Idea you should have replied to the vote. If you
> missed it start an opposite vote ;-)
>
> When I voted I thought at this differences between the branches and
> sandbox folder:
> - branches is for "official", long running, persistent product versions
> - sandbox is less formal and a place where branches are created and
> removed without the fear to create confusion in the branches folder.
>
> I could reply to you: "what's a tag? A branch that is no changed" but
> even if at repository level there is no difference in the real life
> there is a clear and logical separation between the 2.
>
> Btw, I think we can bring our ideas and our preferences but we should
> simply use the easy tool (the vote).
>
> I'm still convinced that it is good to have a sandbox in the main james
> folder and the sandbox of the james/server folder because I saw that
> James PMCs with karma have not so much time to follow the project
> reactively and I think that having sandboxes can make us moving a little
> faster.
>
> Stefano

I also like the sandbox. For example for the fastfail stuff the sandbox
is cool. Cause after commit to trunk i whould simply remove it..

Why we not simply write such thinks down to the wiki so anyone know if
its ok or not.. sometimes i feelin really "unclear" about many things in
james ;.(

bye
Norman