james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Joachim Draeger ...@joachim-draeger.de>
Subject Re: IMAP Draft: Cluster
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2006 14:08:15 GMT
Am Freitag, den 14.07.2006, 15:40 +0200 schrieb Stefano Bagnara:

> >> The thread per connection model simply doesn't scale to the level that
> >> would be needed for a decent IMAP server.
> >
> > Why? There are reasons to limit the maximal number of simultaneously
> > running threads. But what are the drawbacks of having one thread per
> > connection?
>
> I think that many of the answers you are looking for are better
> described in papers found here:
> http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~mdw/proj/seda/#papers

Oh dear, it would take me a hundred years for sure to go through all of
that :-), although it looks very interesting.
It's quite theoretical and I guess my question is more JVM related. When
I was looking for the maximal number of threads Java is able to run I
found the answer that it is only limited by memory...
I always try to challenge propositions. Is it even a problem to have a
sleeping thread per connection?

> IMAP is a perfect case for SEDA because often there are a lot of idle
> collection and without SEDA you need to keep idle threads allocated.

How much does it cost to keep an idle thread allocated? Is it only using
memory or using a lot of memory or does the JVM need cpu time to deal
with them?
Do you recommend using SEDA instead of MINA?

Joachim