james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject website look experiments.. please feedback
Date Mon, 17 Jul 2006 12:07:39 GMT
I did few tests with maven2 generated sites and css.
I think we should not loose too much in webdesign stuff, so I show you
what we have and you tell me if you have preferences (maybe you want to
use the -1 ... +1 range with decimals that I love ;-) )

here are the links:

"Maven2" default skin:
http://people.apache.org/~bago/james/maven2/

"LookTest" skin:
http://people.apache.org/~bago/james/looktest/

"Norman" skin:
http://people.apache.org/~bago/james/norman/

Please don't give so much importance to names. Norman is called this way
because I changed a colour by request of Norman and I wanted to show him
the result. Then I changed something more on the tests so let me ask you
the differences:

.A. Maven2 or customized?
I prefer a customized skin because maven2 skin has too small fonts and
is too much "cold".

.B. Customized colors: james-red or gray
Red: http://people.apache.org/~bago/james/looktest/
Gray: http://people.apache.org/~bago/james/norman/

You can see the main horizontal bar and other minor lines chaning color.
The gray one looks more professional. I like both.

.C. Menu: "current james.apache.org style" vs "updated"
Current: http://people.apache.org/~bago/james/looktest/
Updated: http://people.apache.org/~bago/james/norman/

I prefer the "Updated"

.D. ASF logo: Official, Jackrabbit, Tapestry:
Official: http://people.apache.org/~bago/james/norman/
Jackrabbit: http://people.apache.org/~bago/james/looktest/
Tapestry: http://tapestry.apache.org/

As you see i did tests only for Official and Jackrabbit logos, you'll
have to imagine the tapestry result.

I like the jackrabbit logo but I don't know what is the ASF policy about
ASF logos.

I can live with the "big blocky" official ASF logo but I prefer the
jackrabbit one.

---

I would like to find consensus on a new common design for our websites
so we can move forward and have a consistent look across the james projects.

Please let me know if you have suggestion on changes that maybe are easy
to apply and we may like.

Stefano

PS: in the mean time I'll update our official site with the updated
content from the last website vote. We will update the look stuff as
soon as we'll find a good shared solution.