james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Thing to keep in mind for future mail/message repositories
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2006 16:05:20 GMT
Working on http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-559 I had to
remove most of the optimisation added to MimeMessageWrapper (the ones
more performance oriented).

The main problem is that we cannot use streaming if we want to write a
message to the same record/file we're reading from.

I'm just writing this because when we'll refactor Mail repositories (or
better introduce Message repositories) there are 2 things that would
help performace and allow us to "reactivate" this optimisations:
1) Keep headers and body in 2 different resources (this allow us to
easily read and write only one of them)
2) The repository should support updating the content of a message while
reading the previous version of that message.

As a sidenote, Noel pointed out
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/transaction/file/index.html to
introduce transations in file based repositories.

And now a question. I haven't looked at Javamail Folder to understand
how Javamail handle the update of a message: does anyone know how update
is handled and if streaming can be used between the previous message
content and the new message content ?

Stefano