james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bf_...@brainlounge.de>
Subject Re: IMAP Draft: Cluster
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2006 14:40:46 GMT
I am not going too much into the topic itself, just a few more general
questions at first.

Joachim Draeger wrote:
> Cluster
>
> Imap is quite resource intensive.

Is it? Why?
How does IMAP resource consumption compare to already existing James
parts like POP3 and UserRepositories?

I would have guessed think that the resource consumption is not
depending on the protocol in the first place, but on the number of
users, the number of transmitted emails and the size of those emails.

This requires to share the load
> between multiple hosts. Another goal is being fault tolerant and to have
> a fail-over strategy. This means not having 99.999% availability. This
> could be done using a cluster capable RDBMS. At the best this would mean
> that you can setup your IMAP servers like accessing one single database.

Are you still talking about James at this point or some specialized IMAP
server apart from James?

Clustering at DB level would mean to not support dbfile, file and other
  types of repositories.

   Bernd