james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bf_...@brainlounge.de>
Subject Re: IMAP Draft: Cluster
Date Sat, 08 Jul 2006 11:08:55 GMT
Joachim Draeger wrote:
> Hi Ahmed,
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 06.07.2006, 10:47 +0200 schrieb Ahmed Mohombe:
>
>>>In a worst case, when nobody is ill or on holidays, you have at least
>>>one open connection per user all the time.
>>
>>How would one handle in the JVM and code these very long lasting connections?

Similar to short lasting connections, I guess :-)

> Actually there is a inactivity limit of 30 minutes defined in the RFC
> and clients should be able to deal with the fact that they might be
> thrown out from time to time.

But any command restarts this timeout. A simple NOOP is sufficient. This
means, that the server is not allowed to explicitly terminate the
connection as long as the client is pinging him. Regardless of the fact
that there is not actually mail traffic happening.

Maybe such idle connections could be handled by a special thread and if
any real work is starting on a connection, this one is handed over to a
worker thread?

   Bernd