james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] James website update (Was: svn commit: r421896 - in /james/site/trunk/www)
Date Sun, 23 Jul 2006 13:23:28 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>> We also want to change what Maven is generating.  Almost all of its
>>> default reports should be turned off.
>> The Source Repository report is OK to show the URL, but all of the
>> content should be directed to http://www.apache.org/dev/#svn.  We
>> don't want to maintain general SVN instructions.
>
>> Maven2 automatically generate this page:
>> http://people.apache.org/~bago/james/looktest/jspf/source-repository.html
>
> Yes, but http://www.apache.org/dev/#svn is the official content for the ASF.  If you
feel that there are some improvements that can be made, let's contribute them.

They are totally different approaches.
The apache page is a set of links most of them are useless to the james
user and only useful for us (james committers, or even only james pmc).

I still think that this page:
http://people.apache.org/~bago/james/site-20060723/server/source-repository.html
is much better than any page I can find in the apache website.

First of all this return the *real* paths to our repository while apache
site return only the root of the asf repository.

Btw I'm +1 to use the one provided by maven and -0 to link people to
apache links.

>>> The only Project Report we should keep is the JavaDocs, and that
>>> needs to be per-release level.  The "Who we are"/Project Team is
>>> JAMES, not component specific.
>
>> I agree on the per-release level, but I think that project reports are
>> helpful and if we can generate them automatically and with few effort we
>> should publish them:
>
> Which project level reports?  I listed:
>
>>   Dependencies, Issue Tracking, Mailing Lists, License
>
> as useful.  If you like the XRef, that's fine.  Other reports are not useful, and some
are promos for other people's code.  I really don't feel like providing free advertising.
 Same for the Maven icon.  I consider it obnoxious for tools to embed their advertising (spam)
in their generated content.

> 	--- Noel

I think that clover, code duplication reports, test results, the
dependencies report, the taglist, the changelog, and much other are
useful to me.
Btw I don't care to publish them to our public site because I think they
would be useful only to james committers and much less to james users.

Imo the most important are javadocs and xref, so if you can't live with
further reports I'm ok to remove them from the public site.

I hope that we, sooner or later, will setup a continuos integration
server that will run james and generate the full site with full reports
supporting us in our developing cycles.

Stefano