james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: smtp-handler-api and merge to trunk
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2006 18:44:23 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> For example, by the time we're
> done, I expect that configure() will be replaced by init(), and we'll have
> eliminated the Avalon API from polluting the code.

I don't think that eliminating Avalon API from the code will be so easy.

We have the same problems that we have in Mailets: if you need a service
you have to be Serviceable or to lookup the ServiceManager from the Context.

Imho moving to init is probably a bad move: I prefer to have a clear
dependency on Avalon instead of having an hidden/subtle dependency on
Avalon.

Btw I don't have time for religious container wars ;-) .. I prefer to
keep it to work on my handlerapi proposal and maybe you will like the
"plugin mechanism" I have in mind and maybe we can use it something
similar for Mailets.

As an hint my proposal will include a generic "extension point
mechanism" using an extension manager and "enabling interfaces" for the
dependency injection.

Btw maybe I will not find the time to work on it, and there won't be any
need to discuss about my proposal at all ;-)

Furthermore, generically speaking, I love modularity but I think that
modularity is a weapong to be used with much wisdom. We should never
introduce a modularity that is not needed in the real life because we
probably only add ways to break the system and nothing more.

Stefano