james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: svn commit: r420948 - in /james/server/trunk/src/java/org/apache/james: smtpserver/ transport/ userrepository/ util/connection/
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2006 00:42:03 GMT
Stefano Bagnara wrote:

> > Just the handlers.  [I] just don't want to push that API any deeper.

> You know that Avalon currenlty flow through the veins of James, and not
> only in top level components.

It used to be kept out of MOST of the Matchers and Mailets.  IIRC, at one point it was only
in RemoteDelivery, and then I added it (by necessity) to the quota code.  Likewise, Mark did
evil :-) things with the CommandListServ configuration code.

> Before you cast more vetoes I would like to know how you will handle
> Avalon removal in the core.

There really is very little of Avalon that we depend upon.  What we do use pervades the service
code, and is unfortunately exposed because the Mailet API is anemic.

> In the end we will have to decide how to manage our
> "managed components"

Yes.  We'll need to be clear and clean about our containers and their interfaces.  We need
a container for matchers/mailets, a container within the protocol handler for those components,
etc.

The Processor is the container for the Mailet API.  The spooler is the container for the processor.

	--- Noel