james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] James website update (Was: svn commit: r421896 - in /james/site/trunk/www)
Date Sat, 15 Jul 2006 15:40:49 GMT
Stefano Bagnara wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > Would you please update the stylesheet to use the ApacheCon US 2006 logo

> DONE (already updated in my home "live" export)

:)

> Fixed to say "betas" and removed references to specific betas

Looks good.  We can direct them to http://people.apache.org/dist/james for the beta release.
 And we should plan to reorganize for the v2.3 release so that we have james/server/{source,
binaries}, making room for jspf/ to be a peer of server/.

> > We should add jSPF to the navigation tree for the JAMES site,
> > although I really dislike that we have two totally different looks.

> Done: Added it as the first link of "Related Projects". I don't like
> this too much but it is better than nothing, and we should find a
> consistent way to publish all of the projects (mime4j, postage, jsieve..)

Agreed on all counts.  Neither one of us likes the current situation, but agree that doing
this is better than not.

> About the look (skin) jSPF site is generated throught maven2. Maven2 has
> various level of customizability for its site generation tool.

> What we could try to do is to create a maven2 skin that somewhat
> remember the current apache website and then use it for the main
> website and for james projects.

We've got to do something.  We want a main site, plus project specific content, and release
specific content within project specific content.  We also want to change what Maven is generating.
 Almost all of its default reports should be turned off.  Of the Project Documentation set
perhaps keep:

  Dependencies, Issue Tracking, Mailing Lists, License

The Source Repository report is OK to show the URL, but all of the content should be directed
to http://www.apache.org/dev/#svn.  We don't want to maintain general SVN instructions.

The only Project Report we should keep is the JavaDocs, and that needs to be per-release level.
 The "Who we are"/Project Team is JAMES, not component specific.

And I most definitely do not want a "Built by Maven" logo on the page.

I'd be willing to see what such an overall site would look like, but want to see it before
we decide to keep it.

Regardless of whether we use the same or different tools to build the site parts, we can merge
them via svn (e.g., james/ would come from site/, james/server would come from server/, jspf/
would come from jspf/, etc.).  I'd prefer a common look, regardless of which approach we take.

>>> 2) replaced 2.2.0 with 2.3.0 in download.xml
>> Whoops ... this and the related text changes on the main page
>> are premature, until we do release JAMES v2.3.
> Fixed.

:-)

On the jSPF site, cvs.apache.org should be people.apache.org.

	--- Noel