james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mailet SDK...?
Date Sat, 22 Jul 2006 09:00:39 GMT
On 7/22/06, Danny Angus <danny.angus@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mornin' Robert,

mornin' Danny

(been in Ibiza!)

cool - or more accurately - hot :-)

> IMHO what's needed is a template development environment complete with ant
> > build script, cut down james configuration (developers shouldn't be
> running
> > development code on the standard ports) and some sample code. i'm
> probably
> > going to need to develop something similar for my own purposes. if
> there's
> > interest i'd be happy to post a patch to JIRA.
>

> You're right the SDK was meant to be that, but we got so bogged down
> in Avalon "issues" it never really got finished.
> One idea I had for it was that it would be possible to start a minimal
> james which would take its input from ascii files (mbox/maildir
> possibly) and just pump them through the mailet pipeline so that
> mailet applications could become testable without invoking all the
> other bits of james.

sounds good

(not sure whether commons-email is able to read ASCII in mbox or /maildir
format ATM but that code would make a good addition to the library.)

ATM i'm using a stripped down james with SMTP serving on a high with
everything else stripped out. i'm using commons-email to create test
messages to play around with. would probably want to move to unit testing
when i get a little more serious.

i'll try to find some time to tidy up the SDK i'm using ATM and post it to
JIRA as a starting point. would probably need some changes to the build
script so that variable content (such as the mailet classes and the jars)
were dynamically created for each release.

- robert