james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Bernd Fondermann" <bernd.fonderm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Team Work and *my* approach to open source (Was: LONG JAMES v2.4 Road Map)
Date Fri, 15 Sep 2006 15:17:26 GMT
> Bernd Fondermann wrote:
> > [...]
> > There is some truth in this. But Eclipse is driven by companies, it is
> > like a software company.
> > We are not this way.  That does not mean we aren't successfull, but
> > this is not an objective opinion either ;-) I am not willing to follow
> > strict release cycles. But it would be good to have a common
> > perspective. That's what is still evolving from the mailing list
> > discussion. It is not simply a thing of voting.
>
> I really agree on the whole paragrapg but the last sentence: I think
> that it is ok to use the vote as a pragmatic way to define the limits of
> our discussions.

+1, fully.

What I wanted to emphasize is: It's not only a matter of proposing and
voting _alone_.
proposal = bone
discussion = flesh
vote = skin
well, then comes development, of course...

_all_ of those taking part in the discussions are required to discuss
+ technical
+ short and on the point
+ on-topic or fork new thread
+ be consent driven

if everyone remembers those points before hitting "send", you will
see, discussion outcome will dramatically improve.
there is _so_ much noise, repetition and re-iteration going on
currently, I have trouble following.
I bet others have the same problems, too.

BTW, that also applies to the number of proposals that get started
virtually in parallel. I have noticed all, I have read some, I
understood 1 or 2, I will try to answer all of them. My apologies for
not having more time for them. Really, there is so much good stuff you
put out, I only wish I had more time. If this is causing frustration
on some part: it is not ingorance, it is the missing time.

> I don't like to discuss ages without a conclusion when
> I know we could have done both of our different ideas if we simply
> discussed less and to end up without anything done. I think I'm able to
> work in team but the team works if we agree we have advantages in
> working together.

OK, agreed, help us to keep disussions short. ;-)

> You brought us the biggest new feature in James: Unit tests.
>
> I think that your contribution, in term of code, is what is making me
> more happy to be still in James and not working on my own local branch.

Wait for the stuff I am going to contribute in future! ;-)
I, for my part, like Postage much more than the unit tests. But
obviously opinions vary.

<snip/>
>  instead I preferred to work on the commons-net
> change and we have been all happy with it.

that was cool, couldn't have done that myself so quickly, many thanks again.

  Bernd