james-server-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Bernd Fondermann" <bernd.fonderm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: LONG JAMES v2.4 Road Map
Date Fri, 15 Sep 2006 19:25:58 GMT
On 9/15/06, Stefano Bagnara <apache@bago.org> wrote:
> Bernd Fondermann wrote:
> > Let's at first work together on trunk and then decide to release (when
> > time is due but quite soon).
> > If there are developments which are not completed, ok. Lets disable
> > them, or mark them as experimental, but release what we have. Then,
> > let's move on.
> > I am not opposing doing larger refactorings, or maybe even break
> > features for a limited time. But let's move forward carefully
> > nonetheless.
> Sorry, I think that with all this messages I'm not sure I understood
> your position.
> Norman and I agreed on a possible release plan for what we identified
> temporarily as "next-major":
> We proposed to include everything we have in current trunk + what we are
> able to implement until the beginning of January choosing from a list of
> issues we already defined (and maybe something more, discussing it). In
> January we will branch and start consolidating things to be released
> (and I expect a first alpha/beta really soon after the branch).

I am totally fine with this.

> Vincenzo and Noel seems to agree on branching from 2.3 and backporting
> some few selected changes to make an interim release (If I understood it
> they would not do any new development in the branch, but only
> backporting+bugfixing). They have not published the list of this few
> issues, but maybe they will do this soon.

I am OK with this, as you write it down theoretically.
My objection is: I think it is unrealistic. There would very probably
be changes on the patch branch which then would have to be
"forward-backported" (immediatly or later or never?) to trunk.
If it is only a digest of patches, that's OK.

> Do you agree with one of these 2 plans? Have you, instead, a third
> proposal (possibly including expected date to branch/date to release and
> expected feature list)?

As I said, let's go forward with trunk. (Exception: make hotfixes to
2.3 and release that as 2.3.1 onward.)
Then, at some time in the future, let's branch and release. Just like
we did with 2.3! The date may be January. Maybe but unlikely: before


To unsubscribe, e-mail: server-dev-unsubscribe@james.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: server-dev-help@james.apache.org

View raw message