james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Bernd Fondermann" <bernd.fonderm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: OSGi: First steps with Knopflerfish
Date Sat, 30 Sep 2006 10:07:39 GMT
On 9/30/06, Joachim Draeger <jd@joachim-draeger.de> wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 30.09.2006, 11:09 +0200 schrieb Bernd Fondermann:
>
> > I am very looking forward to trying some other container, but it is
> > inevitable to decouple our components from the current container, at
> > first.
>
> Doing some POJOification can't be bad but I don't consider it a blocker.
> How do you know HOW to decouple components when you don't know where to
> go? When you decouple it from something you have to couple it to another
> thing. Being a bit container dependent can make things clearer.

Agreed. But the situation as it is now is, that the components are
heavily coupled with
a. phoenix lifecycle interfaces
b. avalon configuration stuff
c. avalon/phoenix ServiceManager
d. avalon logger (superclass)
e. verbose + redundant config in environment.xml, *.xinfo

This is bad (IMHO) even if you do _not_ want to change container.
For example, look at the unit tests and the setup() methods. much too
much has to be done there to execute a simple test. this is mock-up
hell ;-)

> When switching to another container there may be the need for some
> bigger redesign. IMHO the pure decoupling from Avalon etc seems to be
> only some kind of refactoring.

Right.

> We should examine other frameworks and evaluate how we can map our
> requirements. I start with OSGi.

ok, this has to be done. are there any learnings or requirements already?

  Bernd